MEETING UPDATE: Several deadlines have been extended!!
- The deadline to submit abstracts has been extended to March 25th
- The deadline to register has been extended to April 8th. (After April 8th, late registrations will be accepted for an additional $10.00 and will NOT include any food.)
- The deadline to register for the Student-Professional Lunch Mixer is April 8th. (Please email email@example.com to register.)
We are still looking for vendors and sponsors!
2016 MWBWG meeting: Announcement, Lodging-Travel-Meals Info, Schedule
2016 MWBWG meeting: Registration, Vendor & Sponsor Forms
2016 MWBWG meeting: Instruction for Paper & Poster Submission
2016 MWBWG meeting: Agenda
It’s that time again: The Midwest Bat Working Group Annual Conference. Click the above image to purchase your Conference T-shirt!
Meeting Announcement and Call for Papers
8th Annual MIDWEST BAT WORKING GROUP Meeting
April 21-22, 2016
Meeting Host: Ohio Bat Working Group
LOCATION: The Ohio State University, Ohio Union
1st floor Great Hall Meeting Room
1739 North High Street, Columbus, OH 43210
Venue Contact: Marne Titchenell, firstname.lastname@example.org, (614)292-0402
DUES AND REGISTRATION: deadline for registration by mail is April 1, 2016.
- Membership dues are $15 for students and $25 for professionals
- Registration fee is $35 for students and $55 for professionals.
- When paying your registration fee and/or dues, please complete the attached form (also available at http://www.mwbwg.org).
- If paying by check or money order, mail registration/dues form and payment to Brianne Walters, Department of Biology, Indiana State University, 600 Chestnut Street, Terre Haute, IN 47809. Checks should be made out to MWBWG.
- Payment by credit card (Visa or Mastercard) is accepted online at :
- If you pay online, please send the registration/dues form by postal mail or e-mail to Brianne Walters (email@example.com).
ORAL PRESENTATIONS AND POSTERS: deadline for submission of Abstracts is March 4, 2016.
- Email abstract submissions with subject line labelled “MWBWG abstract” with attachment of abstract in Microsoft Word format to Jennifer Norris (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Follow format and content of the abstract example (see last page) or on the MWBWG web site (http://www.mwbwg.org).
- Poster and oral presentations should focus on bats and bat ecology
- 15 minutes will be allotted for each oral presentation.
- Indicate whether you will make an oral or poster presentation and underline the name of the presenter in the abstract.
STUDENT COMPETITIONS: To be eligible for cash award, indicate student status when you submit abstract.
- Best Student Oral Presentation Award
- Best Student Poster Award
- This is a new opportunity for students at lunch on Thursday to network and discuss careers with professionals in the field. Student pre-registration will be required (free). Professionals by invite only. Email Katrina Schultes (email@example.com) to register.
LODGING: Discounted hotel room rates expire March 21, 2016. Be sure and book your room prior to that date to receive the special conference rate.
- A block of rooms is held at the Hampton Inn & Suites until March 21, 2016. Discounted room rate will be for April 20-22, 2016 at $129+taxes (single or double). There is also a $10 per car per night parking fee. Book your room by calling and requesting the room block for the 'Midwest Bat Working Group', (614)559-2000 or (844)297-1374.
- The Hampton Inn & Suites is located 1.8 miles from the Ohio Union at 501 North High Street, Columbus, Ohio 43215 (http://hamptoninn3.hilton.com/en/hotels/ohio/hampton-inn-and-suites-columbus-downtown-CMHHSHX/index.html).
- Free Shuttle: There will be a free shuttle to and from the Hampton Inn and the Ohio Union each day during select hours, before and after meeting times and poster session.
- Bus: COTA #2 North High Street Bus runs the entire length of High and costs $2.00 per trip. There is a stop near the hotel (stop 2 at Nationwide Blvd) then another one right before OSU (stop 3 at E 11th Ave). The bus runs from 5am to 11:45pm between these stops and it takes between 8-12 minutes.
- Driving Directions: For detailed directions to the Ohio Union, please see: http://ohiounion.osu.edu/visit_the_union/directions. Parking at the Union is adjacent to the north side of the building at the Ohio Union South Garage (1759 North High Street, Columbus, Ohio 43210). Cost to park at the garage is $11.75 per day (http://www.campusparc.com/osu/garages/ohio-union-south).
- Flights: The closest airport is the Port Columbus International Airport - CMH. See http://flycolumbus.com/ for more information.
- Airport to hotel shuttle: Arch Express (Jason@archexpress.com / 614-252-2277) & mention “Midwest Bats” for $20 individual rate each way ($30 for 2+ people at same pickup). Arrange in advance. Taxis are also available ($23-28 to downtown locations, see list at http://flycolumbus.com/).
- The Ohio Union has several restaurants available for lunch: http://ohiounion.osu.edu/dine_and_shop/union_market/union_market. There are also restaurants located on High Street right outside and within walking distance of the Union, including:
- Eddie George's Grill 27, Panera Bread, Ugly Tuna Saloona, MadMex, Starbucks, Chipotle, and Subway
- In addition, there are many restaurants, local breweries, and even a distilleries located in the downtown Columbus area:
- The Short North Arts District, located 1 mile from the Ohio Union and out the front door of the Hampton Inn & Suites, is gaining recognition as a dining destination. See http://shortnorth.org/eat-drink/ for more info.
- Also check out the Arena District and North Market District (http://www.northmarket.com/). Here is a walking map of the many dining destinations in the downtown area: http://shortnorth.org/wp-content/uploads/drupal/convention_center_walking_map.pdf.
- Consider yourself a 'foodie' or craft beer enthusiast?? Check out Columbus Underground for the best reviews and recommendations for Columbus dining hot spots (http://www.columbusunderground.com/category/dining) and Columbus Brew Adventures for local breweries (http://www.columbusbrewadventures.com/).
(Subject to change)
Wednesday, April 20th
Early Bird Social - get together for those of you arriving the night before (Location TBD but likely local bar with good food and drinks)
Day 1 – Thursday, April 21st
8:00-10:00am – Registration and Breakfast
8:00-9:30am – Board of Directors Meeting (Block-O Room on Lower Level)
10:00am-12:30pm – Session
12:30-2:00pm – Lunch (on your own) – STUDENT-PROFESSIONAL MIXER (pre-registration required)
2:00-3:30pm – Session
3:30-3:45pm – Break
3:45-5:00pm – Session
5:30-8:30pm – Poster Session and Social (cash bar and heavy hors d’oeuvres)
9pm -'After-the-Social' Social (Location TBD but likely local bar with good food and craft beer)
Day 2 – Friday, April 22nd
7:30-9:00am – Registration and Breakfast
9:00am-11:30pm – Session
11:30-12:30pm – Lunch
12:30-2:30pm – Session
2:45-4:30pm – Session (this is only necessary if we have a large number of talks submitted)
*Note: This schedule is generalized and provided to help plan your travel. The final agenda will be available in early April after all abstracts have been received and processed.
Thank you! We look forward to seeing you in Columbus, Ohio in April 2016!